The final peninsula impact evaluation is the next step in the tiered EIS/EIR process pursued by the FRA and the CHSRA, which already included the following milestones:
- 2005 HSR Statewide Final Program EIR/EIS
- 2008 HSR Bay Area to Central Valley Final Program EIR/EIS
- 2008 Selection of Pacheco Pass alignment
This Project EIR/EIS will describe site-specific environmental impacts, will identify specific mitigation measures to address those impacts and will incorporate design practices to avoid and minimize potential adverse environmental impacts. The FRA and the Authority will assess the site characteristics, size, nature, and timing of proposed site-specific projects to determine whether the impacts are potentially significant and whether impacts can be avoided or mitigated. This project EIR/EIS will identify and evaluate reasonable and feasible site-specific alignment alternatives, and evaluate the impacts from construction, operation, and maintenance of the HST system.It all starts with a scoping process. You can comment orally or in writing at three public scoping meetings to be held this month. Mark your calendars:
The San Francisco to San Jose HST corridor selected by the Authority and FRA follows the Caltrain right-of-way from San Francisco to San Jose. The HST would operate in this area at speeds below 150 mph and would share tracks with Caltrain express commuter trains. Further engineering studies to be undertaken as part of this EIR/EIS process will examine and refine alignments in the Caltrain right-of-way.
The entire alignment would be grade separated. The options to be considered for the design of grade separated roadway crossings would include (1) Depressing the street to pass under the rail line; (2) elevating the street to pass over the rail line; and (3) leaving the street as-is and constructing rail line improvements to pass over or under the local street.
In addition, alternative sites for right-of-way maintenance, train storage facilities and a train service and inspection facility will be evaluated in the San Francisco to San Jose HST project area.
- San Mateo County: SamTrans Auditorium, 1250 San Carlos Avenue, San Carlos, California, January 22, 2009 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- San Francisco: San Francisco State University, 835 Market Street, 6th Floor (Rooms 673-674), San Francisco, California, January 27, 2009 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Santa Clara County: Santa Clara Convention Center, 5001 Great America Parkway, Great America Meeting Rooms 1 & 2, Santa Clara, California, January 29, 2009 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.